Thursday, September 17, 2009

First things First

These words ring true to me:

May 7.  The primary business I must attend to every day is to fellowship with the Lord.  The first concern is not how much I might serve the Lord, but how my inner man might be nourished.  I may share the truth with the unconverted; I may try to encourage believers; I may relieve the distressed;{editor's note: I may teach my children} or I may, in other ways, seek to behave as a child of God; yet, not being happy in the Lord and not being nourished and strengthened in my inner man day by day, may result in this work being done in a wrong spirit.
Taken from The Autobiography of George Mueller.

Good reminder for me, this Martha-inclined, type-A, perfectionistic soul that I am.

What is my primary business?  To fellowship with the Lord.  To taste and see that the Lord is good.  To sit at His feet, soaking in His word, basking in His marvellous grace and love and mercy.

To glorify God and enjoy Him forever, to quote the Westminster divines.

Oh, and if you have never read about George Mueller - you should.

1 comment:

Tina said...

ooooh, the timely reminders...I'm that Martha too (aren't so many home schoolers?!) and I have found myself falling into the drill sarg. trap this week...GET IT DONE! instead of thinking, Serve My Master. Thanks for the timely reminder!