Monday, August 24, 2009

Sunday's Sentiments

"You must know that the special honor which God has from His creatures in this world is the manifestation of the graces of His Spirit. It is true that God gets a great deal of honor when a man is in a public place, and so is able to do a great deal of good, to countenance godliness, and discountenance sin, but the main thing is in our showing forth the virtues of Him who has called us out of darkness into his marvelous light. . . . That is the work that God calls me to now, and I must consider God to be most honored when I do the work that he calls me to; he set me to work in my prosperous estate to honor him at that time in that condition, and now he sets me to work to honor him at this time in this condition. God is most honored when I can turn from one condition to another, according as he calls me to it."

~Jeremiah Burroughs, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, italics mine
The question is, can I honor God in whatever circumstance He places me?

To paraphrase a modern author:
"So I will praise Him in a box,
And I will praise Him with a fox,
And I will praise Him in a house,
And I will praise Him with a mouse,
And I will praise Him here and there,
Say! I will praise Him anywhere!"

~ Theodore Geisel, Green Eggs and Ham, adapted. Obviously!

or, as the Apostle Paul puts it:
"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and huger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Phillipians 4:11-13)
Thoughts for my own heart, this week.

(And hey! What other blogger quotes Dr. Seuss and the Puritans!?)

No comments: