Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: My Neighborhood, My Mission Field

For the whole law is fulfilled in one word:  "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."  Galatians 5:14
For some time now, I've been contemplating the whole idea of mission.  Who am I sharing the gospel with, who am I ministering to, who am I serving in the name of Christ?

At this moment, I am hearing my mommy-friends:  "Your children, your husband!  They are your mission field!"

I know that.  Really.  I do.

But I also think it does no good for me to ONLY focus on those 6 people, to the neglect of others that God has put in my path. And lately, that's honestly how I've been operating.

Fast forward to last week.  When God wants to get my attention, He does so in a big way.  Suffice it to say, we had a situation occur so that we needed - for a variety of reasons - to go around the neighborhood and bless our neighbors with a delivery of homemade muffins.

And I was struck, full in the face, with the reality.

You want a mission field?  Here it is. 

We have 3 neighbors - two adjacent and one just one house up the road - who are widowers.  They were so thankful for my little homemade treats.  We have other neighbors who are from another country - I'm not sure anyone talks to them. 

And I've been closing my eyes, wrapped up in my own private world and drama, not being the hands and feet and love of Christ to them.

So as missions week at our church closes, I have been challenged and humbled by our great God to go forth and serve - not in Kenya, not in Appalachia, not even in downtown Birmingham.

But here.  Where we've been planted.  Where God has shown us unmistakenly that we are to stay.

I pray that He will find me faithful, and give me ideas as to how to minister to those who are - literally- right next door.

I think a pot of soup may be in order. . . . . . . .

No comments: