Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Joy of NOT Being a Professional

This has got to be a first for me - I'm sitting at the Birmingham Museum of Art, listening to the strings rehearse the Holst suite - and blogging!  (I love Wifi!)

Plus, I get to watch my amazing husband at work. . . . .

. . . which always makes my heart go pitter patter!

And I have to admit, there's a definite joy for me in NOT being a professional  musician.

I mean, other than the fact that no one would ever hire me.  And I'd have to practice a lot more.  But that's beside the point.

It is such a treat, such a privilege for me to play.  When I get the oppportunity, to be able to sit in an orchestra, or this time around, sit in a chamber group - it is sheer joy.  Not drudgery, not wondering when I'm going to get my union-sanctioned break, but joy. 

There's just something - how to explain - there's an "in the moment" feeling, where the only thing I'm thinking about is the quality of my sound, working with the group, the phrase, intonation (ugh.  always intonation). . . . . not about cleaning the house, solving the next kid issue, what's for dinner, our budget (ugh.  always the budget), or tomorrow's schedule. 

You get the picture, I think.

A moment.  A few moments.  To be, and enjoy, and make music. 

It brings me great joy in my journey.

No comments: