Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Breaking Hard Ground

Two Saturdays ago, I did a rather foolish thing.

I decided to dig a pumpkin garden.  In hard, Alabama clay soil.  By hand.  In 90 degree heat.

Yeah, I know.  Vintage Heather moment.  My hands hurt for days.  And wouldn't you know?

I still haven't gotten the pumpkins in!  Waiting on some nice, fresh horse manure from next door, but that's a whole 'nother story.

The day after I attempted this rather futile project, I left Facebook.  At least for the summer, and maybe for good.  What does that have to do with digging around in the dirt?

Plenty.  For some time - maybe the past 3 months or so - I've felt the still, small voice of the Lord whispering to me.  He's got some work to do on my heart.  There are areas of sin that need digging up, turning over, fertilizing with tears of repentance, and planting the seeds of the Word of God.  And - kindly - God showed me that my - ahem - addiction to dear Facebook was not helping.

You know, when your kids say, "MOM!  You're not going to put that on facebook, are you?"  There might be an issue.

I'm just sayin'.

So I'm spending the summer digging, weeding, fertilizing and planting in the soil of my heart.  Praying for God to cause His Word to grow deep roots. 

And for my heart to be more responsive to Him than my small, hard, still-not-planted pumpkin patch.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love this! Such a great reminder to all of us to focus on what's important and let the rest go. I have a fig tree I'm hoping to see ripe figs on soon. It's been 3-4 years in the growing. Patience - that's what God has been trying to teach me!

Heather said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Suzanne - maybe we could have a fig cookie and pumpkin pie visit! :)

Jen in Al said...

Encouraging and sobering words. It is amazing to see all the ways the Lord has me on my face right now. the sad part is that it should be like that all the time every year. one of my prayers is that if and when we can breathe financially again and the several other unknowns become "known" i don't go back to praying less seeking less absorbing less. I need to be in His word and on my face more and more. i have so far to go. So thankful God isn't done with me yet! Thank you for sharing what the Lord is doing in your life! You always inspire me! love and hugs, jen in al