Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday's Sentiments

(in which I post random thoughts from my weekly reading)

"VIII. The eighth thing in contentment is, Submitting and taking pleasure in God's disposal.

That is to say, the soul that has learned this lesson of contentment looks up to God in all things. He does not look down at the instruments and means, so as to say that such a man did it, that it was the unreasonableness of such and such instruments, and similar barbarous usage by such and such; but he looks up to God. A contented heart looks to God's disposal, and submits to God's disposal, that is, he sees the wisdom of God in everything. In his submission he sees his sovereignty, but what makes him take pleasure is God's wisdom. The Lord knows how to order things better than I. The Lord sees further than I do; I only see things at present but the Lord sees a great while from now.

And how do I know but that had it not been for this affliction, I should have been undone.

I know that the love of God may as well stand with an afflicted condition as with a prosperous condition. There are reasonings of this kind in a contented spirit, submitting to the disposal of God."

~Jeremiah Burroughs, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

Thoughts as I seek true Contentment this day.

No comments: