Thursday, July 30, 2009

How I Spent my Summer Vacation

Let's face it, you've been wondering, haven't you?

"Why hasn't she blogged?"

Yah, right. I have no delusions of grandeur that my blogging is followed by more than a few friends, but a girl can dream, can't she? Ha!

At any rate, back to my post. THIS is how I've spent the waning days of summer vacation! Yup. Making a last-ditch effort at getting our house sold, updating our two upstairs bathrooms. New flooring, new paint, and here we are!

The first bathroom picture is a "before" of our hall bath. Note the U-G-L-Y "You ain't got no alibi" nasty brown flooring. The vanity with the yellow counter. I had tried to "cutify it" with blue sponged-on paint, but, well, it still had a long way to go.

So here we are! Better, eh?

This all started with the $99 vanity on clearance at Home Depot - cabinet, sink, and faucet - what a deal! Too bad when we ripped out the old vanity, there was NO DRYWALL behind it.

***This is where I insert a big, huge shout-out to one of the most amazing friends we have - Andrew Y. In the midst of their own insanity, he spent FIVE days at our house - ripping out vanities, replacing drywall, replacing toilets, nailing in moulding - if you have never witnessed sacrificial, Christian love in action, you should have been at my house during this whole process. Thank you for being the hands of Christ, Andrew! (Oh, and you're right - the magic of caulk worked!)

Once Andrew replaced the drywall, it was my turn to paint, and lay the flooring. My dad recommended the self-stick vinyl tiles - wow, were they fun to work with! (After I got the floor leveled, that is.)

The best part was finding the right shower curtain. Old Time Pottery is just way too fun for words. The shower curtain and rug were from there, and the window curtain was from my Windsor, CT kitchen - hung with shower curtain hooks! Even Emily, my discriminating decorator, declared it to be acceptable. I love it - with the smaller vanity, it seems larger - and I'm even pleased with my departure from the "floral" theme of my life.

Next post - the dreaded Master Bathroom! Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Lisa A said...

Nice job!

Nancy said...

Yay!! It looks great! Well done, Heather.

Anna said...

Wow. Way to go, Andrew, Heather, et al.