Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Sentiments: Help Thou My Unbelief


And they brought the boy to him. And when the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth. And Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood.  And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”  Mark 9:20-24 (ESV)
We're in the middle of dealing with a situation that needs much prayer. And involves waiting on a reply from a third party.

And while everything in me pleads, "Believe! Believe when you pray! Know that God is going to do a good thing!" there is this unbelief that rears its ugly head. "You've been down this road before. God has said No before, surely it will be no this time. Don't get your hopes up."

This is my struggle. And so yesterday, in the quiet hours of the morning,  I turned to a passage that - strangely - gives me great comfort. When the desperate father brings his son for healing, he cries out to Jesus: "I believe; help my unbelief!" The passion of a father for a child, seeking answers, but feeling weak in his flesh.

Consider this encouraging word from Jerry Bridges:

It’s true, however, that oftentimes the situation at hand looms larger in our minds than the promises of God. We then find it difficult to believe the promises. In those times, I find the words of the father of a demon-possessed son encouraging: ‘I believe; help my unbelief!’ (Mark 9:24). There is a vast difference between stubborn unbelief such as was demonstrated by the people of Jesus’ hometown, Nazareth (see Mark 6:5-6), and the struggling faith of the son’s father. God honors our struggles, and the Holy Spirit will help us. The important issue is that we seek to honor God through our faith, even though weak and faltering, rather than dishonoring Him through rank unbelief.”
Standing on the promises this Sunday, and praying God to help me in my unbelief.



No comments: