Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Week: Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

Time to get the blog back a-hummin' again.  And since it's fall, and finally colder weather, let's break out some warm and cozy recipes, shall we?  (Plus, I really don't have the energy or time or brainpower to finish some of the more weighty blog posts.)  So - lucky you, faithful readers (all 3 of you)!  It's. . . .


PUMPKIN TIME!!!!

Let's start with a yummy breakfast recipe, shall we?

My long-time readers will remember the great spice fiasco while making Baked Oatmeal.   Despite that unfortunate incident, I have continued to make and serve that yummy dish fairly frequently.


Mainly because it doesn't involve any knives.  Safer than - say - separating frozen hamburger patties with a chef knife.  Not that I have any experience in that.  Or any scars to show.  Nope.  None. At All.

So lo and behold, what did I find in my stash of recipes?  A variation on the theme!  So warm up your fall mornings with this yummy dish . . . . . .

Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal!

Yumminess.  Pumpkin. Oatmeal.  What more can I say?

In a large bowl, mix together:

2 3/4 c. oats (I use quick cooking, they work just fine)
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice (more if you like)

(I think you should also add about 1/2 tsp. salt, even though the original recipe doesn't call for it)

Then add:


1 1/2 c. pureed pumpkin, fresh or canned
2 beaten eggs

1 T. vanilla
3 c. milk

Stir in 3/4 c. raisins or dried cranberries (dried cranberries.  Definitely dried cranberries)

1/2 c. chopped nuts (Meh.  Optional.  I'm not a big nut fan)

Pour into an 9x11 pan and bake at 350 about 45-50 minutes. 



Serves a whole hungry crowd.  Make sure you get a serving before the gang digs in!

And then get yourself to the store and buy a pile of canned pumpkin - you're a-gonna need it!  

(Or better yet, send your wonderful husband, while you stay home in your jammies and sip your pumpkin spice latte.  That's my plan, and I'm stickin' with it.)

Stay tuned for the next installment of. . . .Pumpkin Week!  See you tomorrow!  Lord willing. . . . .  


2 comments:

Athena said...

Ooh....I'm going to have to try this!!!

Athena said...

Thank you for the recipe. I made it yesterday. It is even tastier today!