Monday, February 21, 2011

Celebrating President's Day at American Village

Do you all know about American Village?  If you don't, you should!

While I admit it's not as high-falutin' as - say - Plymouth Plantation or Colonial Williamsburg, it is really a well done history resource, right in our own backyard.  I especially like the way they emphasize the sacrifices made by the founders of our country - and then turn around and ask the children who are hearing the program to do the same.  Very inspiring.

Today was President's Day, and American Village was celebrating.  We celebrated, too, and I decided to channel my inner "I-used-to-be-a-fun-mom" and pack up the three younger girls for a field trip.


Aren't they cute?  Of course, there was a discount for arriving in costume. . . and I'm only NOW realizing I never got a picture of them standing up, all together.  Sigh.
At any rate, "someone-who-shall-remain-nameless" was feeling a little awkward in said costume, and also a little sad that both the friends we invited couldn't come.  So imagine our surprise when THESE wonderful people came walking through the door of Washington Hall!

Yes, the Pritchetts!!!  They saved the day!!! (Or at least made it a LOT more fun!)

I have also learned that, while I'm channeling my inner "I-used-to-be-a-fun-mom", I am NOT doing so good at channeling my inner "I-used-to-scrapbook-and-take-a-bazillion-pictures" mom.  So with that in mind, here are a few shots from the day. . . wish I had more.

Hannah hoop-rolling on the green

Another Colonial Game - trap ball, I think.  Pretty fun!
 My favorite part today was the Oval Office - yes, they have a replica of THE Oval Office!  It was quite awe-inspiring when I first saw it.  . . . .of course, I don't have a good picture, but this one was pretty cute.

Tired toddler on Daddy's lap.  In the Oval Office, no less!
Hope you all celebrated President's Day in fine fashion - and here are to the remarkable men who have filled that office.  May we never forget to pray for them.

No comments: