Friday, September 14, 2012

One Glass, Two Views


It's been a day. Quite a day. Let me share. (Long, but bear with me!)

Friday, Take One:
 Woke up late, and had to quickly throw a lunch together for hubby, who headed out for a 12-hour day. Spent the morning trying to catch up with school. Had to deal with a dawdling student, again.  Sigh.

Headed out to piano lessons.  Dropped 2 kids, headed out to run some quick errands. First stop, Target. Ended up making about 5 trips across the store, because I kept forgetting things. Great. Then the line at Starbucks was too long, so I had to punt on that idea. Next stop, my dr.'s office to pick up a prescription. When I got there, they couldn't find my prescription, but had it filed under the wrong name. Just my luck. In the meantime, I'm waiting for the pediatrician's office to call about the little one's puncture wound in her foot.

Back to piano, and I'm waiting in the driveway for the kids to be done. Finally, the pedi's office calls me back. They want me to bring her in at 4:15.  Super.  That's going to put a huge kink in getting the kids out to camp this afternoon.  We race home, I have 5 minutes to bark instructions, drop off kids, and run out the door. Traffic is horrible, and I have to find an alternate route.

Checked in at the pedi's office. Find out that Amy has an infection in her wound.  Nice.  Now we run to the pharmacy, fighting rush hour traffic. After picking up her antibiotic and a few other things, now it's treatment time. In the parking lot. Yes, I'm soaking the kid's foot in bleach, then treating it, bandaids, medicine, the whole thing.  The car full of the 4 olders meets me in the parking lot, and after Amy's treated, I send them on their way.

I've had enough of this day. Decide to head to Panera Bread for a quick sandwich. Alone. Since hubby's working late, again. So much for date night. The line at Panera is hugely long. Of course. As is the traffic line going home, as I drive past not one but TWO high school football games. I get home and collapse on my chair. What a day.

Friday, Take Two:
Slept in enough to feel refreshed, and was able to send hubby off with a great lunch for his long day. Was actually home all morning, and we got a lot done.  One of the kids had a tough morning, but we ended up with a great history discussion.  Making progress!

Headed out to piano lessons.  Dropped 2 kids, headed out to run some quick errands. First stop, Target. Found just what I needed for not one, but two birthdays. Great! Then the line at Starbucks was too long, so I had to punt on that idea. Next stop, my dr.'s office to pick up a prescription. When I got there, they couldn't find my prescription, but had it filed under "Yurii's Wife". It was hysterical! I texted Yurii, and we both got a big laugh over it.

Back to piano, and I'm waiting in the driveway for the kids to be done. I've been waiting for the pediatrician's office to call me back about a wound in Amy's foot, and they finally call me back. They want me to bring her in at 4:15.  Super!  I'm actually going to be able to get the older kids home from piano and get to the office in time. We race home, I have time to give everyone instructions, and out we go. Traffic is horrible, but I remember a short cut and make it in time for the appt.

Checked in at the pedi's office. Find out that Amy has an infection in her wound.  I'm SO glad I called and had this checked! Dr. thinks she can make it to camp, with a little fancy footwork.  We run to the pharmacy, fighting rush hour traffic. After picking up her free antibiotic (yay!) and a few other things, now it's treatment time. In the parking lot. Can you believe I'm soaking her foot in the parking lot! This is going to make a great story! I'm so thankful to live in a country where something like this can be treated. My mind goes to children in other countries, where a minor wound can lead to gangrene - and worse - and I am so thankful.

The car full of the 4 olders meets me in the parking lot, and after Amy's treated, I send them on their way. They are really understanding, and willing to be late for camp, even when I have to run back in the store to get marshmallows for camp!

It's been a long day - and not just for me, but for Yurii, so I decide to head to Panera Bread for a quick sandwich. I grab him a sandwich, too, and have a nice quiet moment while waiting for them to make my food. Traffic going home is heavy, but moving. I get home and settle in for a few episodes of Bones, and wait to surprise Yurii with his yummy sandwich.  Tired, but thankful.

One Day. Two Perspectives.

Which way would YOU like to live? 

4 comments:

Melissa Nelson said...

Hey, Heather. That was awesome. Brava!

Meredtih said...

Glad this wasn't convicting for me. (sarcasm)

Lynne said...

Brilliant!

Margo, Bible Fun Factory said...

Yuck—I think we've all had days like the one you're describing. In fact, I had a terrible, awful day just last week! But man, oh, man, you got me when you gave us that same day, take two. It really is all in the way you see things and react to them, isn't it? Thank you for this—I needed a reminder about how my attitude determines how my day will go.